Wednesday, January 30, 2013

IV sedation for pediatric patients(Oral surgeon-Hinesville, GA and Statesboro, GA)

www.SouthernGeorgiaOMS
Statesboro and Hinesville oral surgeon

IV sedation for pediatric patients in the oral surgery Setting

Providing the service of IV sedation in the oral surgery setting is a tediuos and anxious process.  It is even more unsettling when pediatric patients are the recipents of this modality of treatment.  I employ the following measures to ensure a safe and comfortable IV sedation experience for my patients.

1)  At the initial consultation build a rapport with the child.  This envokes and establishes a level of trust between you and the patient.  Communication is ultimately the key to success and it starts with formulating commonality with the patient.  I have patients that come to my office and say "your the only doctor that has spoken to me like a human being".  I emphasize in my office communication, compassion and politeness.
2)  Minimize the risk of aspiration by informing the patient not to eat or drink 8 hours prior to the procedure.
Inform the patient that this is a significant action to perform prior to surgery.
3)  To reduce the patients level of anxiety, I have them take a tablet of halcion 1 hour prior to the procedure.  This relaxes the patient and really promotes a better experience.
4)  Having the parent in the room prior to and during the placement of the IV.  This presents a factor of reassurance and less alienation for the patient.  Once again, I gently talk the patient through the process and I have never not been successful placing an IV involving a pediatric patient.

What modality or approach do you use in your office?




No comments:

Post a Comment